Candles can be festive or relaxing, practical or luxurious—but choosing paraffin candles can actually be hazardous to your health. Think about the black soot you can see around the tops of jar candles. That soot comes from paraffin smoke. Paraffin is a byproduct of refining oil, and can contain harmful chemicals.
At Soaps & Scents, we offer pure soy candles that are guaranteed to offer a cleaner burn, along with many other benefits. Here’s a quick list of why we will always prefer soy over paraffin:
- Longer burn time makes for a great value: Soy wax and soy candles cost more than paraffin, but they also burn quite a bit longer. When you factor in the extended burn time, their price is comparable.
- Better for your health: Paraffin wax contains probable carcinogens and toxic chemicals, including toluene, benzene, methyl ethyl ketone and naphthalene. With 90 percent less soot than paraffin, you’re less likely to inhale toxic substances.
- Better for your home: The soot from paraffin candles doesn’t just go in your lungs. It can also build up on your walls and penetrate your upholstery. Soy is also 100 percent biodegradable, which actually makes spilled wax much easier to clean up than paraffin.
- Better for the environment: Since paraffin is an oil byproduct, it’s dependent on nonrenewable resources. Soy, on the other hand, is natural and renewable, making it the environmentally conscious choice. As you know, it’s biodegradable, which means you’re not contributing to toxic waste that can linger for decades. Plus, since the United States is the top producer of soy, you’re helping farmers across the nation. Who knew a candle could be a patriotic choice?
- Unscented soy candles won’t interfere with your meal: When you burn paraffin candles, even unscented ones, you run the risk of releasing stinky chemicals that can affect the flavor and smell of your meals. Beeswax candles, on the other hand, can release a honey scent into the air. For some meals, that might be tolerable, but for others, you won’t want to risk overpowering the meal you worked so hard to prepare. (As a rule of thumb, always opt for unscented candles on the table, no matter what kind of wax they’re made of.) Additionally, soy is too soft to create taper candles, which is safer—taper candles can easily tip over and start fires.
- Soy doesn’t produce as much heat: Candlelit rooms look romantic, but when they raise the temperature in the summer, your beautiful haven can turn into an unwanted sauna.
We think the choice is clear, which is why we only offer soy candles at Soaps & Scents.
Find quality soy candles at Soaps & Scents!
Soaps & Scents offers high quality soy candles with incredible scents. Treat yourself and your loved ones to a gift you can trust. Stop by our store in El Cajon, CA to find out more about our selection and process. We look forward to meeting you soon and pairing you with your perfect scent!