Are you looking for ways to keep your home smelling great, but getting tired of how quickly candles seem to disappear? Wax melts are a great alternative to burning candles. They’re safer, less expensive and last longer. Here are the best reasons to use wax melts instead of candles in your home:
- Longer burn time: How long your candles burn depends on a lot of things, including the type and quantity of wicks, size, fragrance oil, wax type and more. Generally speaking, wax melts burn longer than candles—you can usually get about 28 hours per ounce, whereas candles offer about five hours per ounce on average.
- Less expensive: Not only do wax melts last longer, they’re also a lot less expensive—especially when you factor in that extended burn time. Assuming you choose an average $20, 60-hour candle, you’re paying about 33 cents per hour to burn. Wax melts, on the other hand, cost about six cents per hour. That’s quite a difference.
- Safer to use: Unattended candles are one of the top causes of home fires. Candles can get knocked over by kids or curious pets, among other easy ways to accidentally harm yourself and your home. In contrast, an electric wax warmer safely melts the wax to release the fragrance, with no open flame needed.
- Convenient: Since there’s no open flame involved, wax melts are a lot more convenient and easier to use. Bring your electric wax warmer to work, or safely use it around children and pets. There’s no need for a lighter or matches, either.
- Less likely to contain harmful chemicals: Paraffin candles can contain harmful chemicals, including benzene. Benzene is a carcinogen, which means that it may cause cancer. If you do opt for candles, make sure they’re made of soy wax instead of paraffin, which is derived from petroleum.
- No soot involved: Since you won’t use a flame, there’s also no chance of soot ending up on your walls, ceilings or fingers. (It’s also better not to breathe in soot.)
- Stronger fragrance: Candles can only use a limited amount of fragrance oil, or they risk wick explosions. Since wax melts don’t require an open flame, they can withstand a much stronger fragrance load. You’ll use less to achieve the same effect.
- Customize your scents: Another great reason to use wax melts is that it allows you to customize your scents. Maybe you want a citrus and vanilla combination, or specific herbal and spicy fragrances. Mix and match your wax melts to make your own signature blend.
- Better for the environment: Finally, wax melts significantly reduce the amount of waste you produce when you use candles. Even one 16-ounce candle per month can add over 20 pounds of glass waste to the landfills.
To buy your own wax melts, or to learn about the aromatherapy benefits of wax melts, stop by Soaps & Scents or browse online today. With over 25 years’ experience making beautiful handmade soaps and more, we’re sure you’ll love our selection.